If I reach an agreement rather than going to court to obtain child or spousal support, does this mean that I cannot ask the Family Responsibility Office to collect the money in my behalf, because I do not have a court order about the support?

April 28, 2017

The Family Responsibility Office (FRO) helps families in Ontario to get the support they are entitled to by enforcing court-ordered support payments. If the parties enter into a formal written agreement setting out their family law rights and obligations towards each other, then to enforce the agreement, it must be registered with the Family Responsibility Office. To do this, the written agreement has to be filed with the Ontario Court of Justice or Superior Court of Justice with an Affidavit for Filing. The written agreement, Affidavit for Filing and a completed FRO registration package is also required to be mailed to FRO. Based on the documents filed, a court order is sent to the FRO which then enforces the payment obligations as per the court order.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Please reload

Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

Contact us today to request a free 1/2-hour consultation: (905) 625-2874


Serving Mississauga, Milton, Streetsville, Meadowvale, Erin Mills, Clarkson and Toronto.

© 2017 - 2020 by DeRusha Law Firm